Monday, December 13, 2010

Aspirations and Fear

Every man, through fear, mugs his aspirations a dozen times a day.
--Brendan Francis


If money, time and family obligations were no object, what would you be doing with your life? Where would you be? What would your career be? Where would you live?

So what's stopping you?

Oh yeah, what's stopping me is money, time and family obligations!

Those are easy, convenient excuses anyway. Of course money, time and family obligations need to be a consideration in a job or lifestyle change, but ultimately, I need to honestly evaluate if I don't change my job or lifestyle because of the kids or if it's because I've grown comfortable. 

Failure doesn't change who I am. Failure changes what I've done and alters the course of my life. Success doesn't change who I am. Yet success also changes what I've done and alters the course of my life. 

Change is scary. The fear of failure is really just fear of the unknown.

So what's stopping me? Me.

I need to get out of my own damn way, trust there is a future beyond the one now, and have faith that the change it takes to get there will be worth it.





1 comment: