Friday, April 27, 2012

Living The Dream

Earlier today a younger mom friend was struggling with her toddler and new baby when she turned to me and said "why did you have so many kids? What were you thinking?"

At the time I was concerned about a few issues with one - or more - of my own kids and so gave my standard answer of "I have no idea what the hell I was thinking."

The little secret no one ever tells a young, pregnant woman is that sometimes, often times, raising kids sucks. It's hard work. It's exhausting. It's never ending. It's actual work!

When my sister and I are frustrated with kids and life with kids, we'll text each other a sarcastic reminder that we are 'living the dream, baby!'

But sometimes, when you least expect it, if you can let go of how exhausting it all is, you get a reminder that you are indeed living the dream.

Tonight was that night for me.

It started out pretty normal: rush home from work, make dinner, rush off to Tae Kwon Do, mentally calculate the cost of upcoming belt testing and new equipment needed, push money concerns aside as we rush home to eat dinner, notice gas light is on in car and mentally calculate how many miles left to home, eat dinner, clean up kitchen, take dogs for a walk, notice dog #1 is really beginning to struggle with her old hips, push dog is getting old and may not have much longer thoughts aside....

And then, dog #1 took off running after dog #2 who was chasing kid #'s 4 & 5 as they rode their bikes.  The kids started laughing and I started laughing.

As we made our way back home, kid #'s 2 & 3 were in the driveway shooting baskets. Normally I would have rushed everyone inside to begin showers and night time routine. But instead the weather was so nice I sat down on the porch swing.

Each of the kids eventually made their way to the porch swing with me, where for the next hour they had races, played games, danced to music, laughed, didn't fight, cheered each other on and just had a fun time together.

I wondered as I sat there enjoying myself and my kids how many times I had missed out on nights like this because I was always too busy rushing everyone ahead to the next activity or next chore to be done? Why was tonight different?

Because I was too tired to think ahead. I was forced to stay in the present moment. And, surprise surprise, I really enjoyed the present moment.

For a couple delightful, present hours tonight, I was indeed living the dream.
Me and my gang

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I just had a rare moment of zen with Cody. We just finished his last feeding for the night and he was asleep and I looked down at his tiny precious features and thought, my gosh I love him. He's perfect and he's mine. I'm thankful for those moments because they do remind you that you are living the dream. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. It's the little precious moments in life that make it all worth the while. :-)

    ReplyDelete