Monday, December 2, 2013

Gifts: #reverb13 Day 2

What was the most cherished gift you received this year? What was the best gift you gave?

 The best gift I received this year is the gift of love. 

After a year of being told I am no longer loved and no longer feeling lovable, my heart was in pieces. Shattered to the point I didn't believe it could ever be healed.

Although I still keep my heart closely guarded, those around me gave me the gift of their love this year in so many ways:
  • Friends who held me while I cried and wiped my tears. 
  • New coworkers who have become friends and an extended family. The kind that made sure I wasn't alone on Valentines Day, became caretakers to my kids and encouraged me to create a new life.
  • My children who were strong when I was weak and who stood by my side. My older children have stepped up to help me parent and my younger kids even gave me a card on Fathers Day. 
I spent too much of my adult life questioning how someone can say they love me but not show their love to me in a healthy way. I don't want to question that ever again and I certainly don't want anyone to ever question how I feel about them. I always tell those I love " I love you".

I don't have much to give as gifts. But if I say I love you to you I mean it. They aren't just words to me. It is my gift to you. 

This post is part of #reverb13, a series of daily writing prompts to explore the year passed and manifest the year ahead. I'm following the prompts found on Elephant Journal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment