Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Writer's Life: A Series of Stops and Starts

IWSG Question: What was your very first piece of writing as an aspiring writer? Where is it now? Collecting dust or has it been published?

We would have to go way, way back to find my very first piece of writing as an aspiring writer. My bio says I've been "writing since I first picked up a crayon" and that is so  true.

I wrote for school newspapers in middle and high school.

My first paid writing was after my college internship at a small local community newspaper in Florida.  From there I wrote for magazines.

From there I got married, had babies, got depressed and stopped writing.

Fast forward a few years and I began this blog here.

I was very fortunate this blog caught the eye of the editor of an online publication and from there, as they say, it's history.

Except add in a few more stops and starts along the way.

My writing is good. But my ability to self sabotage is even better!

My writing career hasn't been linear. There have been times I've paid my bills with writing. Other times I've paid my bills with an assortment of other jobs and didn't write at all. I continually strive for the balance between working to survive and writing to succeed.

My life, like my writing, is a work in progress.



This post is a part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, a monthly meeting of writers who over think, under write and just want people to like them. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you've paid your bills with writing :) I've bought some coffee with writing...

    Sounds like you do a lot of different kinds of writing?

    --Rebecca (I love your description of the group, too!).

    My IWSG Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your honesty. I can relate to life being a series of stops and starts. Mine feels like that right now. Wishing you well and sending you tons of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had lots of starts and stops myself, so I can understand. It's just how life rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to all crayon writers out there! No self sabotaging, eh? It's so easy to get down on ourselves. I think if we could see our successes racked up on a chart or board, we'd remember how awesome we are and stop that negative voice at its core. Much easier than said, I know. Daily battles, eh?

    ReplyDelete